Monday, April 28, 2008

Jif

So, the first argument Spence and I had as a married couple was over peanut butter. I had just finished my grocery shopping, and had arrived at our 250 square-foot "honeymoon shack" as our landlord lovingly put it, complete with leaking septic tank and moldy closet, when my darling new husband saw the jar of Jif peeping out of the grocery bag.

"Heather, what's this?"

"Peanut butter. Oh, I'm sorry would you have rather had crunchy?"

"Well yes, but that's not the point. You know we don't always need to have the nicest things."

"What are you talking about? Of course I know that. Are you saying that I'm spoiled?"

We were very poor college students, and Spence was concerned that I had bought name-brand peanut butter--thus setting a precedent for our marriage that we couldn't afford. And when I indignantly proclaimed (through tears, I'm sure) that Jif was on sale and was actually the cheapest peanut butter in the store, he felt chagrinned, and I never did let him live it down.

The sting of that silly argument was the first of many as we worked to figure out this partnership we'd formed. Together we could conquer the world, but Spence had better not play basketball once a week without checking with me first. We wanted only to soar like kites with nothing but the wind beneath us, but kept getting tangled in each other's strings.

It has been thirteen years now, and I still do the grocery shopping. Spence still helps me put things away, but I can't remember the last time he questioned what I bought at Safeway. We have grown together and changed immensely, and he has become my anchor. The tangles are much fewer and far between as I have come to know that he holds both my heart and my kite string close to him, and simply cheers me on while I soar.

But let's be honest, he had still better check with me before he plays basketball. ;-)

6 comments:

Spencer said...

Sweet words, hon. I love flying with you, peanut butter or otherwise.

Stephanie B said...

I love the PB story. My favorite is being present for a discussion on who slept less at night. This happened about 8-9 years ago, when Co-co was a baby.

Glad you joined the blogging world, Heather. Nice to have you!

Mar~ said...

Choosy newly-married gals choose Jif! Choosy guys choose choosy girls, who choose Jif!
And when there is a good sale on Jif...you can't beat it!

I love this entry! "powered by PB" is even more fabulous now that I know this fun story.

I am so glad yo are blogging. I am excited to get to know you even better than I already do, and I can't wait to hear more about your life now with the kids.

In thinking of your peanut butter argument and if I were to apply it to another newly-married disagreement, my parents would have to be "powered by toothpaste."

urpy said...

Ahhh...I love reading the blogs of people who have such a nice writing style. It reminds me exactly why I don't have a blog...

Can't wait for more, Heather!

Scott's Blog said...

Love the Jif story. It's an all-time classic. It's amazing how we kind of grow up over time and figure each other out.

I'm not saying I have totally figured out the female species, but I have a lot better understanding than 10 years ago.

Nice blog. Keep up the good work.

Rian Krommenhoek said...

You are a great pair. We are so excited to watch you and the kids grow on PB from afar. Sid had better ask me before he plays bball too and he had better not pick a fight while he is there either.