Friday, January 16, 2009

I Believe in Magic!

You may call it Disney's shameless marketing, but I believe in magic. Just the mere fact that we flew just about as far as you can within the continental United States with our five children under the age of 11,

got to watch the New Year's fireworks from the airplane as we landed in Orlando, Florida
and a whole lot of TV before that (Spence),

and still had smiles on our faces when we pulled up to Grandma and Grandpa's at 2am is proof that magic is real!


It was a great trip, which included a visit to:

GATORLAND, Orlando, Florida!


"Yes Grandma, they are all real."


Apparently, they have more than gators at Gatorland.

"You want to pay five dollars to hold what?"



Don't try this at home, folks!

We may be all smiles, but we wouldn't think of touching anywhere near the mouth--this baby would draw blood!

This handsome little guy was floating right below us.


WonderWorks!
No, she's not on the catwalk! She's experiencing hurricane-force winds--and loving it!


Aiden made all sorts of giant bubbles--he even made one go over ME!
Coulson wasn't too sure about this bed of Nails thing. But the Laser Tag at the end was the real bomb--so fun I don't even have pictures.

a frigid day at THE BEACH

Aiden body surfs!
Kian tried the ocean, and between getting tumbled and getting icy cold, he decided to stick with the sand.

The Darringtons and the Shirts on this cold beach day.


Our freezing bathing beauty who didn't want to go!

a sweltering day at Hollywood Disney,


so hot, in fact, that Evie got heat exhaustion and threw up on the way home, and I got heat exhaustion and was up half the night wishing I could do the same.

A magical evening at the Magical Kingdom.



Because I was sick, Spence took the boys to Magical Kingdom's big rides in the morning



They had fun, and got as much out of the amusement park as possible. But the park didn't hold the same magic for them as it did for the girls. Maybe it was all the awesome stunt shows they had seen the day before that made the Magical Kingdom seem "little kiddish." Maybe it was because they are older or are boys. Or maybe it was just because the girls did a little preparation in the morning when the boys were gone.




And what did we girls do when they were gone? Evie and Elyse watched TV for five hours (a vacation in and of itself) and I slept in the new LaZBoy Grandpa got for Christmas trying to recover from heat exhaustion. After a couple of hours, I pulled myself out of the chair, dressed the girls in free hand-me-down gowns, did their hair all up to get them ready for the date of a lifetime--a hot one with Dad!

Elyse truly thought she was a princess!

Didn't she look pretty?

Reminds me of a magical night 16 years ago at my Junior Prom where my Dad danced with me!


Spence: "I danced with my little princesses during dinner (there was a dinner show), the employees bowed and curtsied to them on several occasions and said "hello princesses", one employee gave them "pixie dust" for their hair, it was quite fun. Lots of people smiled at them. I think Elyse felt like she owned the place. We spent the whole time in Fantasyland and never left it...they truly were in Fantasyland. It was every Daddy's dream to have his two princesses, one on each hand, for an entire afternoon together. I would do it again in a heartbeat, and I'll be sad when they're too old to "dress up" anymore, because it was dang fun. Elyse actually bought a Minnie princess hat that was pink, had sequins, and ears. when she got tired of wearing it, i did and we got the greatest looks. One 3 year old girl even pointed at me and said to her mom, "Mommy, that man is wearing a girl hat!" It was great."

Daddy really pulled through and saved the day! I felt bad I couldn't be there, and really wanted the kids to have a great time. He was our royal prince! Who cares if he couldn't pull the sword?

And there was even a kiss for me when they got home.




The trip highlight though was Grandma and Grandpa, who had hospitality and love to spare! Coulson told a friend's mom, "We went to Florida to see our Grandma and Grandpa. Disneyworld was a bonus." And you can see why. . .




They love their grandkids! Grandma played with them the whole time,


And Grandpa told stories and rocked the little ones--even after LONG meetings.

They are busy missionaries, but they sure love their family!

What a great trip!

Wait until you hear what we came home to!

12 comments:

Scott's Blog said...

Great recap with the pictures. We're really looking forward to our trip. We might have to give you a call to chat about Disneyworld strategies to make sure we make the best use of our time.

Vicki said...

What a great recap! I loved the excitement you could see in everyone's eyes (even the grownups!)

Bret wants to know if Aiden has been to Kansas City lately - flashing gang signs and all.

The girls are beautiful. Coulson looks like a young man - and Kian isn't a baby anymore! Can't we just stop them from growing up for a little while?

Great post! Keep it up.

Valarie said...

Thanks for the trip! It was SO NEAT to share your pictures and stories. I'm glad you had such a great time. Everyone looked so happy. You're building wonderful memories that will last a lifetime.

Caldwell's said...

What a fun trip loaded with memories. Thanks for the invite to the blog. You sure have a cute family. Looking forward to keeping tabs on you a little more often than once or twice a year!! Your kids have sure grown.

Rich Family said...

Oh my goodness! It looks like you had so much fun. (Except for the heat exhaustion) I would love to dress up and go to a princess dinnner. The girls looked so cute.

Mar~ said...

Looks like such a fun trip!

What a darling family!

Than and Erica said...

THat looks like so much fun. I'm glad you guys made that trip. Your kids are beautiful. I love them.

Than and Erica said...

Baseball already! I have got to get out of Utah! :)

angelrich said...

This is great! What a great trip, and what a great posting!

Stephanie B said...

I love the pictures. Your kids look so excited!

Rian Krommenhoek said...

What a fabulous trip! I don't think you could have crammed in any more fun. I'm sure the kids will remember those experiences forever.

Teresa Brooks said...

So, I'm just getting caught up(5 months later). It looks like you had a great time. Sorry for the heat exhaustion--been there, done that, no fun!