So, Aiden came up to me a few weeks ago and asked what we would give him if he didn't eat sugar for a year. I kind of chuckled and told him I'd give him a big hug and kiss (that's my default answer for any "what will you give me" question. So then he tried his dad. His dad told him he'd give him a crazy amount of money. (I'm too embarassed to admit what it was) Well, he got motivated. And then Coulson said he wanted to jump on. You can't promise one thing to one kid and not have a universal policy. So double the antie.
I was sure this would last only until the following Saturday when Aiden was going to Smiley's birthday party (yes, that's his name. He has another name which nobody knows, and a very friendly mom named Mo). I was sure the minute the cupcakes and goodie bags came out, it would all be over, but no! Apparently the kid has a will of iron! What kid eats carrot sticks when chocolate cupcakes are being served?! Not MY kid, that's for sure. Well, he did.
And so it has continued. I bake cookies. They don't touch them. I put candy in their lunches; they trade it for chips for drinks (not pop). They've already started planning Halloween, starting with how they will stay home and help hand out candy, but have since moved on to going trick or treating to earn some "trade loot." Aiden, the younger, more naive brother has decided to donate 1/2 of it to his sisters. They are learning so much--delayed gratification, business dealings, confidence in their ability to resist temptation. But where does that leave their parents? I'll tell you where: in the poor house. Proud, but poor. As I'm pounding my third brownie, I stare--amazed and shocked at their ability to glance at me momentarily, and then walk away. I admire and chew, because I CAN multi-task afterall.
It's been a month now with no candy or sweets--oh, they can have light syrup on their waffles, homemade wheat muffins, and a pudding if we have it. Aiden's birthday is on Wednesday, and he's getting a "banana cake" (banana bread). He says that it's easy and that he's fine without it. He was even happy that a friend brought over treats for his birthday, so his family wouldn't have to go without. What does this mean? We'd better start saving. At least it won't be money spent on dentist bills.
10 comments:
I've been pleasantly surprised as well, in fact downright amazed is probably better put. They've been able to resist when i've been off in the laundry room secretly eating my 11th cookie. It's even been inpspiring...it's helping me with my latest challenge. To give up sweets, etc. till the end of the school year. So far so good.
Wow! That's great! Uncle Jeff's kids did that, too. It takes more will power than I possess. Go to it, Guys.
That really doesn't surprise me with your boys. They probably get their strong will from their mother. :)
I too would lack the will power for that one. Sugar is one I just can't live without. That dollar figure must be a pretty amazing amount...Wow-- they've made it a month.
Sounds familiar... chocolate anyone? Hey, we went off sugar, too. And I have GREAT recipes for YUMMY desserts if you're interested.
PS, we've noticed a lot of health benefits since we started this. Less headaches, less mood swings, less yelling... and that's just me! (Okay, all of us.) We wouldn't go back since I decided to experiment in the kitchen. (Okay, that's not true. We've both cheated...and David tries going back regularly, only to have his massive headaches reapper.) Random thought: Does anyone else have a struggle putting in these darn code words to publish? I have to focus to get the letters in order.
Sorry, thoughts just keep coming. Brighton's a no sugar kid, too, just so ya know. (He's also a vegan, much to everyone's freak-out. But I haven't had to give him shots since starting the vegan diet with him.) Ya win some, ya lose some.
A song is running through my head and I don't quite know why...
"Pour some sugar on me..."
wink!
I need to check your blog more often. I was just so use to you not updating it. I can't believe that they are doing that. Truly amazing.
BTW, I also hate the word verifications. I always get them wrong.
Go Coulsen and Aiden! That is awesome. I am seriously imressed with their will power.
Post a Comment