
All things considered, our kids have been champions (as Liz would say) about this move half-way across the world. It wasn't like they were leaving nothing behind. They loved their school, their church, their neighborhood, their sports; they tolerated their music classes; and most importantly, they loved hanging out with their friends. Aiden in particular hated to leave Ben--our neighbor in his class at school and just a good buddy. I was not thrilled about tearing him away from his best friend, but knew we needed to do what was best for the family. Aiden understood, but cried so hard. It broke my heart.
In my attempt to comfort him, I told Aiden that he didn't need to worry. Home would be wherever his mom baked chocolate chip cookies. --At least I got a smile. When we arrived, amidst all the unpacking, organizing, and general settling in, I never forgot the promise I made to my boy. And I was anxious to get baking supplies, so I could really give everyone a touch of "home."
Our first grocery shopping experience was an adventure all by itself. Liz and I spent three hours staring at food labels, squeezing and smelling packages, trying to figure out what was what, and how I would feed our family. After much work, I was able to secure some potent, fabulous vanilla, some finely-ground soft flour, and extra crystally sugar. I was unsuccessful in finding baking soda, chocolate chips, and brown sugar. Making Prague "home" was sure to be harder than I imagined. After some reading, asking and store hunting some more, I was able to secure the "sodium bicarbonate"--still no chocolate chips or brown sugar; however, a girl's gotta what a girl's gotta do! So, I improvised.
I sent the boys all by themselves to "D & L," our little neighborhood potraviny to secure some Milka chocolate--the most delicious deliciousness that you have ever experienced! (Not that I've tried some every day since we've been here, though. ;-) The boys had to use their new Czech crowns and their only Czech word at the time, "Djakui" (thank you). They secured the goods and even survived the man standing outside his house with no pants on. And luckily, they accidentally got "extra cacao." The combination of the light, crystally sugar, the vanilla, and the dark chocolate was nothing but divine! So while it wasn't like Mom's cookies at home, no one complained! Today I sent the boys back to the potraviny for extra cacao chocolate so I can try to repeat that happy mistake tomorrow. I guess it just goes to show that change can be good--even when it comes to "home."
4 comments:
any other expats in your ward/branch? they are the key to international shopping survival.
Yes--in our ward. I have since gotten valuable information from them! It's so good to hear from you! I'll have to check out your blog to get the update.
such a sweet post.
at my wedding, in my father's toast, he told the story of how when we moved to austria, me 16 and leaving *everything* behind, i lay on the floor of the pantry and cried everyday (dramatic, i know). he reminisced about how it broke his heart to see me suffering so.
flash forward, bryan and i were just talking the other night about all the hardships our little ones will endure. ben folds was right, it does hurt to grow up. and good parents can't remove all those hard experiences from their children (else how would they learn they can do hard things?).
nah, good parents show their great, immovable love and make chocolate chip cookies.
you guys are going to rock the socks off prague!
Oh, I love this entry.
I hope you are enjoying every single moment, it will all go by too quickly in the end.
When I was in Italy, I could NOT find chocolate chips anywhere! And baking powder was in a little tiny package, the size of a coffee sweetener packet. So fun! I had the hardest time finding what I needed but lots of fun looking. I did finally find chocolate chips when I was in a city that took in the border to Yugoslavia (at the time, doesn't that date me?). I bought them even though they were TOO expensive, I wanted my Italian friends to have a taste of the REAL chocolate chip cookie. They loved them!
Enjoy your time!
Visit my blog if you have a minute, Jonathan took me to Canada for my birthday - total surprise! It was awesome and I think you would enjoy some of the photos!
Love to you!
www.letthembelittle.typepad.com
Post a Comment