All right, I have to admit that in a pinch, I turn to Evie for fashion advice. Just Friday when I found an awesome $12.00 dress on a clearance rack, brought it home, and was agonizing over how to complete the ensemble--I turned to my personal consultant for help.
"Evie, do you think it looks better with the cardigan, or should I just go with the button-up underneath?" She told me that both were cute, but it looked better with the button-up. And 10 minutes later when I decided that maybe a 5-year old didn't know it all, and I would try a T-shirt, she told me again to go with the button-up. So what did I wear on Sunday? My new $12.00 dress with a white button-up underneath.
It was Saturday morning when she sealed the deal for me. I knew she deserved my full confidence when Evie bounded down the stairs in this little get-up, and emphatically declared, "Mom, I match!"
I simply replied, "Oh, you do?"
"Yes, because, look there's this blue on the shirt, and this blue here on the skirt."
"Ah yes I see that, but the skirt is what's called a plaid, and the shirt is striped, and technically, you're not supposed to wear a plaid and a stripe together."
She paused for a moment, and then said, "Well I feel cute, so I match!" And she turned around and started to play with Elyse.
My first impulse was incredulous indignation, then I started to laugh, and finally I just admired--all throughout the day--at lunch at Pickle Time, in Kohls, and at home. And when she snuggled down in her soft Belle jammies that night, I swelled with pride and hope that she would never lose that vision, never let social mores determine how she felt about herself. Because dang it, Evie! You ARE cute--stripes and plaids and all! And thanks for the advice on the dress. I felt cute on Sunday too. ;-)
2 comments:
Work it girl!
Anyone who can look that cute in horizontal stripes should be able to wear whatever she wants with them!
Would love to see photo of your new dress!
great story. I love that. What a sweet little girl.
Post a Comment