
So I was doing Elyse's hair on Thursday morning. I rarely curl her hair, because she has natural wave, but I had curled Evie's that morning and she was fascinated with the process. She was frustrated though, because she couldn't "see" what was going on.
"Mommy, I want up" (up on top of the counter).
"Elyse, I'm nervous about putting you up there because the curling iron is up there, and I don't want you to get burned. I'll put it over here, and you just don't touch it. Ok?"
"Ok."
And I hoist her up onto the counter away from the curling iron. I walk 10 feet away, turn my back to get a clip and hear a scream. I turn around and see her clutching this finger and telling me she was sorry. I put her hand under running, cold water and took the opportunity to give her a gentle mini-lecture. I let her know that I only I warn her of things because I don't want her to get hurt, and that she should trust me. She was so sad, and had to call Grandma to tell her about her "fingerache." I can only hope a minor burn on her index finger will be the worst of her experimentation.
2 comments:
What a darling, yet sad face! I was glad you called so I could offer long-distance comfort. That's one thing grandmas can do!
It reminds me of a time when Aaron was a baby and grabbed my curling iron. But that resulted in severe burns on his hand and fingers. Both of us cried that day!
I can just hear her saying, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Post a Comment