Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"Thirty-as-well?"

So, when I told a friend yesterday how old I was turning he said, "Oh, so you're turning thirty-as well (32)." We both laughed at his clever little comment, but then I started to wonder, "Am I getting old? I mean, is he trying to help me think of a clever way to disguise my age because there is something inherently wrong with 32? I've never thought I was old, and in my mind, I think I'm perpetually about 25. So really, people, how do you know when you're getting old?

I LOVED the rock collection from the backyard that was scotch-taped to pink paper!


I giggled like a kid when I opened the skirt that I've owned for seven years that Elyse had daddy help her wrap.


Aiden's polished, heart-shaped stone truly was a precious gem.



And I actually wanted to blow out my own candles. I didn't want that little blonde girl next to me to do it for me! (OK, I admit I was concerned about the germs.)


But wait, now I know why I might be classified as old. When I opened Spencer's gift, I'll admit I had a little feeling of dread about having to figure out a new contraption. I mean, I'm sure a GPS is a great tool and all, and I'll probably love it, but I have to take time to learn it! I AM thirty-as-well and all, and don't you know you can't teach an old dog new tricks?



10 comments:

Scott's Blog said...

Signs that you are getting old:

1) You have 5 kids. I would venture that anyone who has 5 kids really isn't young anymore.

2) You get some hi-tech gizmo (like a GPS system) that you need some "youngster" to explain to you how it works.

Happy Birthday! At least you're not 37. Plus, to me, you'll always look like that 17 year-old that Spencer was dating back at Ricks.

Stephanie B said...

I feel about 25. The other day I was trying to tell a girl that I thought she was as old as I was. I said I thought she was 25, 26 no wait 27. I can't remember anymore.

Teresa Brooks said...

You'll always be a youngster to me!
Besides, I don't know very many 32 year olds that can still do back hand springs like you can. Happy birthday!

Mar~ said...

32 - - old? Seriously?!
You really are only a small hop from 25 still! (Not even a skip and jump in there yet).

You know you are getting old when:

A package of prunes looks more appetizing to you than... peanut butter (or chocolate if you are like me).

You roll over in bed and the creaking causes you to believe that you need to purchase new bed springs only to realize that YOU are causing the creaking, not the bed.

You think McCain is just a young Maverick!

I am happy to report that at 43 none of this has happened to me...

yet.

Love you and Happy Birthday!

Marilyn

Than and Erica said...

Happy Birthday, Heather! I'm glad to see you back on the blog bandwagon. You're not old...you're experienced, right?!?!?!? I have a friend here that just turned 23 and she always makes fun of how slow I text. such is life. I miss you and your kids. they're so cute.

Valarie said...

Old. . .young. . .it's all relative! Believe me, 32 is way-young. Anyway, happy birthday, Sis. You are amazing to all of us!
Happy birthday, and we love you.

Vicki said...

OOOOHHH!! You got a GPS! How fun. Have you ever gong geo-caching? It's like hide and seek with a GPS. It's our favorite Saturday activity (I have to borrow my friends GPS.) Congrats on 32. I still think of you as young!

Heather said...

Thank you to the well-wishes. And I'm sad to say to Vicki that I haven't used my GPS yet! And what is geo-checking?

Vicki said...

OOOHHH! It's so fun! It's a treasure hunt with your GPS. Go to geocaching.com and type in your zip code. It will tell you the coordinates of a geocache and you can go find the treasure! They are usually in a park or something. You can take something out of the cache but have to replace it with something else. Little trinkets are fine. Check out that website. It's a great Saturday activity with the kids.

Rian Krommenhoek said...

I hope you had a great birthday! I was out of town so please forgive me. I too have joined the 30's club, but as I see your beautiful family on you blog it looks like a good club to be in.