Monday, November 2, 2009

My Adventures in Prague—Tuesday the 27th

Tuesday

So, today was the Prague Castle and St. Vitus Cathedral day. Once again, I took a long time getting ready, read my scriptures, grabbed a late breakfast, and just took my time in the morning. By the time I got on the metro, and walked through the winding streets up the hill to Prague Castle, it was just about noon. Every hour they have the changing of the guard, but they have the special big changing of the guard at 4:00pm and at noon. The trumpets and drums started just as I was approaching the gates. The crowds were a little too big to see the actual march that the guards did, but the music was cool. It was fun to see nonetheless.

I then bought an audio-tour that would let me punch in the numbers of whatever I was looking at, and I could learn the history of everything I wanted to at my own pace. I also bought a ticket for a 1:00 matinee in the Lobkowicz Palace. Prague Castle itself used to be just a large building, but has been added onto, having important and royal families living in different palaces all attached to the castle itself. The Lobkowicz Palace was the last palace in the castle, and the only one that is privately owned. The family lost all of their possessions twice in the 20th century: first to the Germans, and then to the Soviets. After the wall came down in 89, William, the son born and raised in America, came back to the Czech Republic to see if there was anything that could be done. They were awarded 6 properties in the Czech lands, including vineyards and the palace itself. Plus they got back their 3 original manuscripts of Beethoven's works, priceless works of art, and an extensive, very old library. I didn't actually tour their collection, but I enjoyed what I saw in their small concert hall. They had 3 skilled and talented musicians on the piano, the flute, and the violin. They played arrangements from Vivaldi, to Bach, to Beethoven, to Debussy, to Mozart, to D'vorak. It was an hour long, and it was masterful. Very fun to attend.

After that, I went on my tour. St. Vitus Cathedral was incredible. It was build in the 1300's and was as ornate and gothic as anything gets. There were so many creepy stories, dead saints, relics, and amazing art there. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. Then I learned a little about the history of Prague Castle itself. To be honest, I got tired, and couldn't finish the audio tour. I didn't get back home until 5 or so.

On the way home, I saw a little model train shop. They had Thomas the Tank Engine in there, and so of course I thought about Kian. I couldn't tell if the shop was open, and there was a man at the door at almost the same time I was. I tried to pull the door, but it wouldn't budge. The man said, "Tlagit," and I looked at him blankly. So he pointed to a sign on the door and read what it said, "Tlagit!" I couldn't tell if he was trying to tell me they were closed or what, so pointed to myself and said, "English." He just looked slightly annoyed, and pushed the door open for me as he said, "tlagit." So I know 4 Czech words now: hello, excuse me, thank you, and push. How do you say stupid American tourist?

That evening, Spence and I went out to a mall in the Old Town and ate at another Italian restaurant which was more expensive, and not as good. We then got a movie from the concierge and watched it until 1:00am, and then called the kids. All was going well with them, so that made me feel better.

No comments: