I know it sounds greusome, but read to the end, and you'll understand. I promise!
Often amid the stress and confusion of being in a foreign country, I have shining moments of pure, golden joy—moments when I’m in some sort of time warp where my kids are all little again and I have them all to myself. I know it sounds trite, but back home I often felt the sands of time slipping through my fingers as I grasped at their fleeting childhood. And I felt guilty, constantly doing important things, being pulled a million different directions, when really I just wanted to curl up to a book with them.
But here, it’s different. And not something I think I can sustain—unless of course we move to some sort of compound where we are completely cut off from civilization. Since that’s not happening any time soon, I’ll cherish this time like hot cider on a rainy, autumn day. Here are a few of my favorite moments so far:
The day we did magnet science at home. The older kids “buried” the treasure, and Elyse and Kian got to “hunt” for it.
"Wynner” sleeping everywhere, especially in the Baby Bjorn, right up close to my heart.
Evie and Elyse playing pretend for hours! This day I wanted the girls to sweep up the sand from the patio. Elyse whined and begged me not to make her do it. I pulled Evie aside and asked her to tell Elyse that they were playing a game where their evil stepmother was making them clean. As you can see, it worked like a charm! If Elyse will work like that for her evil stepmother, why doesn’t she do that for me??
The day that we built a tent in the back yard. The older boys really built most of it, and the littles did the “BYU carpet.”
Kiko-man’s joker face! (Yes, that is nutella all over it—another one of my loves.) We were sitting in the car the other day and Grandpa Brad started telling jokes. Kian cried out, “Why did Lightning McQueen cross the road?” Me: “Why, Kian?” “Because he can drive!!!” Roaring peels of laughter that look just like that!
Little Wynne’s nursing feet.
The magic of play. The girls played Pollies all morning with Kian watching/playing along with his cars. Aiden thought it was so cute that he prepared a plate of apples cut in tiny pieces for the Pollies to “eat.” What a guy! (He posed for me right after serving the kids.)
Kian getting himself ready for church.
Making thumbprint cookies in our “All about Me” unit.
Watching the kids create! This is a replica of Charles Bridge for our “Prague unit.”
Not bad, eh?
The discussions I’ve had with Coulson, Aiden, and Evie. One I particularly enjoyed was about Jewish children in World War II, and how in one Czechoslovakian Ghetto, children were secretly taught to let art be their outlet. They were taught to think about freedom, and to draw what made them feel free. Coulson, Aiden and Evie were deeply touched, and had keen insights. And then I watched them create artwork of their own about what freedom meant to them. For Coulson, it was hiking in the mountains; Aiden, it was a hand holding a pencil to a blank piece of paper, and Evie, it was a home with a kitchen and a beautiful yard—each was unique to their personalities, and beautiful. I didn’t include them, because I haven’t gotten their permission.
Before we left, we were on quite a musical kick. Now, every time it rains, we all sing, “Singin’ in the rain. I’m singin’ in the rain. What a glorious feelin’ I’m happy again.” And it rains enough here, that we “get” to hear the song often.
And finally, Evie, Kian, Elyse and I were making dinosaur dioramas one afternoon, and Elyse had worked so hard at coloring each little lizard giant before it came time to cut them out. They were so tiny for even my hands, let alone her small kindergarten ones. She had been hard at work for at least 30 minutes, and kept telling me she couldn’t do it. I kept encouraging her, telling her that she could. Finally, after one particular cut, she threw down the scissors and paper, stood up with her hands in the air and yelled, “That’s it!” And just when I was about to reason with her and get after her for not being safe with her scissors, she ran up the stairs yelling, “I just cut Pteranadon’s head off!” In Ecclesiastes we read that "there is a time to keep silence, and a time to speak." So, I silently died laughing, and took this little picture. (I didn’t ask for permission.)
We haven’t gotten the dioramas out since. ![]()
5 comments:
This is great! I am enjoying your updates so much! I hope you will be able to keep updating because it makes your beautiful world feel so much closer.
What a fabulous time in your life! Your kids will always treasure their Prague days. (As will you of course.)
Is your mom still there? And is Teresa there now? If so, tell everyone hi and send my love!
Also! I love the photos! Really nice!
Wow, I don't know how you do it. What a blessing to have a house hold with great and funny kids. We do have skype. I'm rianko, I might still be listed in Beijing, but I change it back to Utah. I would love to hear from you guys. We could consider it early birthday presents.
Great posts, Heather. It was so fun to be in Prague with you and your family. Cherish these times with your children. As you know, they pass all too fast. But then you get grandchildren to cherish, so life is still exciting and good.
Heather,
Meagan shared your blog address with me and it's a delight to read about your travels thus far and to get a quick update on your beautiful family. And Wynne, she is so beautiful already. I hope you don't mind if I show a few of the photos to the class - mostly the ones with Evie and Aiden in them. I'm sure they'd be delighted to know what their compatriots are up to. Thank you for all that you've shared and a big hello to Aiden.
Sincerely,
Christie Isler
Post a Comment