Monday, November 16, 2009

Coulson on the Brain, and in the Heart

I feel badly that I never did get Coulson's birthday posted this year. We really did have a good time--over a couple of days. On Saturday, we went as a family to the Scratch patch in Seattle. It's a little shop covered in polished minerals; they even have some semi-precious stones. We had a great time treasure hunting. And then on Sunday, Steph and Trav came up from Puyallup, and we had a little family celebration for the big 11-year-old!
He had sugar-free brownies, because his year of no sugar isn't up. His partner (Aiden) went for nearly nine months, had enough, and ate some candy right before Halloween, but Coulson has stayed firm in his resolve. Amazing!

So Cute.

Kian at the Scratch Patch.

Aiden doing "mineral angels."

Treasure hunting kids--we had the whole place to ourselves!


My cousin Marilyn blogs every day in November about something that she's grateful for. So, as I was thinking about what I'm grateful for, Coulson immediately came to mind. He's getting older--he's in middle school now--and I'm so proud of the young man that he's becoming. He's starting to notice that others around him are making choices that don't necessarily jive with what he's been taught, but he's talking to me about it, and we're trying to sort it out together.

Spence just got back from New Delhi yesterday. He's been gone for a week. It's been a pretty busy stretch of travel the last several weeks, and while it was so amazing that I got to go with him to Prague, by the time he had to leave for India last Saturday, none of us were ready to say goodbye--including him. And by Friday, 6 days without him was beginning to take its toll, and I was feeling kind of blue and a little bit nutty. I realized I needed a break. It had been a while. But then Coulson walked through the front door from school. I was cooking or cleaning in the kitchen, and he joined me, fixed a snack, and started talking. I realized after just a couple of minutes, that he was facing challenges that were kind of tough for him, but that he was still so positive about it--an undying trait that he has. And I admired how he handled himself. He lifted my spirits even when his could have been low.

Then I told him I was hiring a babysitter so that I could run some errands around town for an hour. He told me he'd like to come. It was heaven-sent. Hazel came over and played with the kids, while we picked out a birthday gift for the girls' friends' birthday party the next morning, bought some ice cream (some "no sugar added" as well) and found a "spooky" Scooby Doo movie for Friday the 13th! He was so fun to hang out with and easy to talk to. I finished the hour totally ready to party with my kids, and I had Coulson to thank for it.

He's been so thoughtful and resepectful of me lately--especially when he found out about the baby. He has been working hard in school and on his music. He was even student of the month 2 weeks ago, for his "outstanding leadership in all areas." As he got ready for his last primary program today, he asked me and Spence how he looked. Spence took one look at him and said, "Like a deacon. You're getting so tall." He has grown in so many ways, and we are SO proud of him. I'm grateful every day the Heavenly Father sent him to us. Thanks Coulson, just you for being you. I love you!

3 comments:

Craig and Sharelle said...

That's so sweet. It's so nice to feel that your child loves you. Mason is the best like that. Gavin is just too good at hiding it sometimes! Coulson is awesome! You have raised great kids - it really is amazing. And thanks for the invite. You probably did invite me at one point, but I'll bet it was back before I'd been converted to blogging...

Rian Krommenhoek said...

Happy Birthday Coulson! I can just image what a great guy he is. Your Prague trip looks amazing and I just read that one of the best ways to experience a different culture is to eat at their McDonald's and experience how different it is. Happy Birthday to you too Heather!

Stephanie B said...

That almost made me cry. I think there is a special bond with the oldest child. They are the one person that made you a mom. Coulson is turning into an outstanding young man.