I don't know if it's because it's my sixth or what, but I am showing SO early in this pregnancy. And I'm secretly enjoying the reactions I get as people deliberate whether to say something or just blurt out the first thing that comes to mind. Because I'm only 12 weeks along and the baby is only about 2 inches long or so, word hasn't had time to spread as quickly as my waistline has. It has led to some pretty funny comments.
The best reaction was that of a friend of mine, who if I were to use any word to describe her, it would be "polished." She is poised and well spoken. The kind who knows what to say when. She delivered a little girl the day before I delivered Kian, and now we have our kids in a toddler group together. I was hosting on Monday (hence no coat or big clothing to mask my belly) when my friend dropped her daughter off. I spied her catching a glance at the tum, and sporting a slightly suspicious expression. Then as she was tying her daughter's shoes at pick-up time, she looked right up at my belly. She paused, and said, "So, um what's new with you?" I smiled at the thought of not telling her, just making her agonize a little, but I'm not that mean. I told her the news, and she was thrilled--said all the right things, and it was a happy moment.
I've had these comments as well, "So, I noticed a little pouch. Congratulations!" "You're looking a little. . . (pat, pat, pat on the tummy). And how many will that make your little flock?" And my personal favorite, in the middle of a ward volleyball game ,my opponent at the net blurts out in disbelief, "Do you have a bun in the oven?!" I spent the next several serves trying to tell the everyone on the opposing team when I was due and how I was feeling. Not an easy task in between volleys and bumps (no pun intended).
I'm pleased to say that 99% of these interactions have been positive—met with smiles, jokes, and congratulations. But often I find an element of incredulity and even trepidation. SIX kids! One church acquaintance said, "So are you just going to keep going?!" I responded, "I don't know. They come one at a time. We prayed hard and felt really good about this one." And that has been my philosphy all along, I think. We have carefully considered the factors with each baby (except for Aiden, who had a mind of his own and was coming no matter what), and made our decision accordingly. For this baby, all I know is that we have been so blessed--not completely without opposition, but all things considered, pretty darn blessed. I've had fairly wonderful pregnancies (minus the varicose veins, insomnia, and contractions through the last half), great deliveries (minus the pain), beautiful children (minus the willfulness), a husband who provides well for our family, and a generally happy family. We do enjoy being together. So, why not add more to the chaos and joy of it all?
I said to one teacher at the school who was amazed at the number SIX, "We're happy, and that's what counts, right?" She smiled and said, "Yes. That's all that REALLY counts! Good for you. Congratulations." So, taboo or totally cool, faux pas or first-class, we're having another baby, and anyone can ask me about it. Because, let's be honest, I can't hide it at this point anyway. Even if I wanted really to. ;-)
6 comments:
You're the cutest, Heather! I think the reason why people are so incredulous that you're having your sixth is because you've still got it all so together! You and Spencer are such awesome parents, and I love your philosophy on having kids. You look beautiful - I LOVE the belly...I only wish I could give it a pat myself.
That is so exciting! Congratulations.
Holy Cow! When I look at that picture I can definitely tell your preggers, but seriously in real life you didn't look it AT ALL!
But no matter what you look like a HOT MOMMA......especially with that new "do" of yours. ;)
Heather, you are just so beautiful! I loved that posting and right as I was reading about Aiden, there was his picture.
You go girl. You are an awesome mom. From triathalon to pregnancy---awesome...
That is so amazing! Number 6! Wow! I should have know long ago because it seems to be that in order for me to be pregnant you have to be pregnant. I hope you are planning on a number 7, because after looking at your good looking crew I don't think we can stop with just 3.
Post a Comment